Last September we started thinking about our yearly collaborative, building wide art project. Although I didn’t know what we were going to do at the time exactly, I did know that I was going to clear out several buckets of old crayons that had been laying around my room for years. The kids started the long process of unwrapping crayons at that time. We generally unwrapped crayons when they got done early on a project and had a few minutes to spare or if they were given some free time.
By January we had the greater majority of the crayons unwrapped. Now we needed to start designing our project. After looking for ideas and brainstorming, we decided to make a large mural for one of the display cases in our school’s front hallway. Not a lot of people enjoy decorating our display cases so the idea was welcomed with open arms. The students just had to figure out what the mural was going to be.
They had lots of great ideas that ranged everywhere from a water tower to a Starry Night rendition, to even a picture of Inman Primary School. After much thought and discussion, we decided that a tiger face, which happens to be our school mascot, would be the best choice. We just needed to do a little more final designing.
At this point, all classrooms K-3 got to vote on their favorite design. Unbelievable to me, each class voted on the same design.
After that, we got a large piece of Masonite, which would be our “canvas.” I took the children’s design and painted it onto the Masonite. Now all the kids had to do was start gluing. Boy oh boy did it take a lot of glue!!! We used a special, extra sticky glue called “Tacky Glue.” The project took an entire GALLON of Tacky Glue!!!
For the next week or so the kids glued on the background crayons. Once that part was done, we got to start on the tiger head. To give our tiger a little more dimension I used a box cutter and cut the pieces for the tigers nose. I did this part myself to ensure the safety of the students.
The next part was the tiger’s fur. We decided to crush some crayons for the fur to give it more texture. This was a really fun part, a little messy but well worth it. We placed crayons in between 2 boards and the kids stepped on the boards and they did the crushing.
We then filled in the tigers face. It looked AMAZING! We were very pleased.
Our final part of the mural was to fill in the word TIGERS with black. This was one of the toughest parts of all since we found out that we didn’t have enough black crayons. We searched our classrooms and our homes and just when we finally thought we had enough, we kept coming up short. Then, one of the kids came up with the brilliant idea of crushing the black crayons just like we did for the fur on the face so it wouldn’t take as many. IT WORKED!
When we completed the project it was wonderful to see the smiles on the children’s faces and their sense of accomplishment. Please take time to stop by Inman Primary to look at this gorgeous piece of art. The photos don’t do it justice.